Monday, February 20, 2006

mud

English 380 met at the Crops Unit. I arrived on my bike after riding in the cool wind. I forgot my jacket, but I knew I could survive; I've felt worse winds on my skin. We began our journey headed out through the orchards where I saw almond, walnut, and avocado trees growing. There were two rows of almonds growing, one where fruit was budding, and the other with flowers in full bloom. Professor Marx explained the intricacy of pruning; it is an art. Looking at the detail of the flowers and smelling the buds was closer than I've ever been to a growing almond. Chris suggested that I smell the almond tree's flower. Its smell was so sweet, and it's color of white with a subtle pink made its appearance soft and warm. The rows of these trees lined the orchard with blooms and soon nuts to be enjoyed for their nutrition and distinct flavor. I've decided that my backyard will someday have these fruitful trees covering its landscape; at least I hope that's the case.

As we continued to walk, the soil grew moist as we got closer to Stenner Creek. Sycamores lined the water with their branches spanning and intertwining with other tree varieties. A red-tailed hawk flew above searching for food below. The sun felt warm at this particular spot. The breeze was subtle, and I felt a sense of contentment walking with my fellow peers, exploring the vast land of Cal Poly.

We continued and entered the organic farm. This is were the journey became more of an adventure. The mud started to trap us, creating each step heavier than the prior. I wore the wrong shoes this morning with gaps in the heal where more mud resided. We made it over to the organic farm; the workers were very informative in the process of this farm. The land these crops grew on has only been farmed for 2 years. They practice a rotation of the crops; letting one section rest while the other section is being harvested.

As I looked out over the crops, beautiful shades of maroon, forest green, lime green, yellow, and many others were layered throughout the rows. There was such order to the plants; it reminded me of the I used to grow with my father except large scale, where green beans grew next to tomatoes which grew next to squash. The diversity in the crop is something so foreign to my eyes beyond my own garden. Growing up in the Midwest, most fields harvested corn and only corn. Acres and acres of corn typically sold and processed to make high fructose corn syrup to add to Coca Cola or Trix. Soybeans are also a large crop in Minnesota. Living in California, I have been fascinated that if drive 5 miles, I can see 10 different varieties of crops out my window. Such diversity I am not accustomed to. This organic farm was this experience multiplied. Seeing kale grow next to leeks, which grow next to beets, which grow next to lettuce. I just wanted to stand and gaze and recognize all the different varieties of vegetables growing, but the walk continued.

The mud got deeper, so I decided to follow other students lead and take off my shoes. This moist soil felt refreshing in between my toes. My feet loose their callus in the winter months when they are always protected by shoes. When summer comes, they grow tuff; they are ready to run down the street over pebbles and twigs with enough protection to keep my senses from pain. Today, my soft feet felt the rough terrain I was exposing them to, so I washed off my shoes and covered my bear paws.

This walk was full of action. We continued and arrived at our next stop to observe a cow liking her newborn calf. I saw this animal’s placenta, and the fluid that was covering its skin. What a magnificent site.

We arrived at the CSA pickup site. Malarie explained to us in greater detail the process of purchasing organic vegetables grown on the land. Animals were wandering throughout from goats to roosters. There was a turkey lying contently in the grass. It allowed students to caress its feathers without a flinch. I was greatly impressed with a small house made of hay barrels, stucco, and mud allowing a cool temp in the summer and a warm temp in the winter. I am continually impressed with Cal Poly students' minds and their creativity.

This was a beautiful day. The wind blew, I felt goosebumps, I saw a greater glimpse to the vast land of Cal Poly, and now I am in a warm library allowing my fingers to unthaw from the cool temperature. This campus has so much to offer.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home