Saturday, March 04, 2006

sister

Here I sit with a once blank page of paper, my sister to my right, and a pen in hand. We made it up the steepest climb she's seen in a while, for Minnesota doesn't offer many foothills. She just picked me a flower to press, now she's taking my picture. So I will sit here pretending not to see her. My hands are covered in mud. Our climb up required a bit of crawling up the muddy slopes.

This view is like none other that I've seen, and it only takes 27 minutes on foot from my front door. With Madonna straight ahead, the 101 below, Paso Robles to my right, and rolling foothills in all directions, I am in awe of its beauty. I forget what I am surrounded with. I forget there are so many adventures within the small San Luis Obispo vicinity. It's funny to see a barbed wire fence in front of me while I sit on this hill of a mountain. Who put it there? What were they blocking off or trying to keep in/out? Maybe sheep used to graze this hill in days past.

Thoreau did a lot of exploring right in his own backyard. He was one who believed that exploring within a 10-mile vicinity was the best way to discover the landscape. Who needs to fly to exotic lands when there are beautiful foothills in all directions. Walking to this spot was enjoyable. I don't often walk with a companion, but my sister was perfect company. She was fascinated with the expensive houses as we were walking through city streets.

It has been wonderful having her here in California. She is one of my biggest connections with home. She knows my insides like no other. I have found that I can get so consumed with school that I forget about people around me. When she came last Monday, I was so stressed the amount of studying I had to do. It's hard for me to get beyond those thoughts and enjoy her company. This walk was a perfect escape from school life. I hope I can show her how much I love her. I do realize that I get refreshed when I'm able to spend time outside of my house.

I hope I don't get too busy with what I find important that I miss out on beauty around me. Beauty in relationships is the first thing I neglect when life gets busy, but I am discovering that they are one of the most important qualities that gives pleasure to the mind and senses. Walking with Kara brings peace to my spirit. Arm in arm. She reminds me of what's truly important.

The clouds took over the sky;
it was time to descend.
It was muddy
and fear overtook me.
Falling to my death.
We held onto roots,
slid on butts, and
screamed.
Fearful thoughts overwhelmed my mind;
were we ever going stand again?
The ground appeared closer
than I thought possible.
Death seemed farther than before;
life was close at hand.
I stood, held my breath,
and ran.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ruth -- this captures beautifully the deliciousness of living with distinct seasons. I can picture you with red cheeks waddling around in a pink snowsuit! aunt di

6:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home